Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Thick Skinned;


Thick Skinned and plants. We will get to that. I am an entertainer working hard to make things happen. I pretty much do this for a living. I don't have a day job, I own my own company while doing what I can to help out people trying to get started in this business known as entertainment. Of course, reading my blogs you know I do many things.

Comedy is where I am taking you today. I am very against doing open mic nights. Though, when starting out, jump on it just to get use to being on stage in front of three or four people. I am being generous with that number. I have two mics that I go to at this point, only because I like to support what they are doing for up and coming comedians.

First one is Fin's Pub in over in Oakdale NY every Monday night. And the other is one ran by my good buddy Leigh West. He does his show at Felt Billiards in Commack NY. I don't get paid for this, it is just me being around my friends in the business. I like that, I like what they are doing for beginners and people trying to work out materials.

Why do I dislike open mics? Well, there is little support from other comedians, you can't really get a good read on jokes and everyone is judging you based on their material. I like to build my set up with laughable material and I can only know that by hearing laughs. If you can get a comedian to laugh, it means your joke most likely is bad. Just sayin'

Here we go, Thick Skinned. In this business there are people we call “Plants”. A plant is someone you know that sits in the audience. You either put them there or they are a fellow comedian you have known. I called out a comic's name and they got so mad they started to heckle me on stage. Long story short. I respected this guy in the business.

Why? Good question. Because about 3 years early he taught me something. Humility. He was on stage and took a few cracks at me about the sound system. I got mad, though I waited till he got off stage and ask him not to do that. He said... “We are comedians, it is all jokes. Don't take anything personal.” I respected that enough to believe it.

That is not how it ended up happening on this night. In closing, I like to have fun out there. And it is COMEDY. Good or Bad, it is just about having fun. As a comic, you try not to heckle another comedian when they are on stage. Even if you don't think they are considered a comic, funny, or talented. It is their time on stage.

Just have fun out there. WE ARE ENTERTAINERS DOING THINGS PEOPLE WISH THEY WERE NOT SHY SO THEY CAN DO IT TOO!!! We owe these people our respect on stage. Because we are giving an opportunity to be up there for all the people who can't find their way to the stage. Embrace it, respect it, and most of all... HAVE fun!!!

www.MakeARightLeftHere.com
www.Facebook.com/MrThomasJBellezza
www.twitter.com/ThomasJBellezza
www.ByTheBloodOfTheRoseProductions.com
www.Facebook.com/BBRProductions
www.Twitter.com/BBRPro

www.BBRoseProductions.wordpress.com
www.BBRProductions.tumblr.com
www.BBRProductions.blogspot.com

www.Facebook.com/Altayon
www.Facebook.com/MARLHTV
www.Facebook.com/ComeChaseTheMusic
www.Facebook.com/Martyrd
www.Facebook.com/Outiside.Perception

No comments:

Post a Comment